Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Raisin City, CA

Photobucket From grapes Photobucket To raisins
Last weekend my sister Martha, my sister Maria, my husband and I went on a little trip to Raisin City, Ca. (yes, thats what the city is actually called) It's about 25 miles South of Fresno, Ca. We went to visit my other sister Margarita, she lives in Raisin City with her husband. Her husband is in charge of the vineyard where they live. He has been working the vineyards since he was about 21 yrs old, he is now about 62, I think, LOL. At this vineyard the grapes are used for raisins, they are picked layed on thin paper and they are sun dried, after they are dried they are picked up and sold to the packers, that then clean them up and distribute to the grocery stores. SunMaid Raisins come from that area.
Once there Saturday morning, my 3 sisters and I headed over to Fresno for a yearly 2 mile yard sale. It was nice but very HOT. Even though I was in my powerchair I was tired at the end of the day. We stayed until Sunday afternoon then headed back home..... long drive! My husband drives slow so it takes us about 5-6 hours to get home, when we should really get home in 3 hrs :)
Oh well, at least we got home!


Photobucket Me under a BIG Oak tree at the yard sale.

Photobucket My husband in a Old Car at the Hotel where we stayed.

2 comments:

Colleen said...

How cool! I knew that grapes were dried to make raisins, but I wasn't exactly sure where or how they did it. Thanks for explaining!! lol Sounds like you had a nice weekend!
Hugs,
Colleen :)

Anonymous said...

Wow..sounds like fun:))
Did you get anything at the yard sale??
Thx for sahring about the grapes, do they make wine there as well?LOL

Take care

Love & HUgs,
Jen